Thursday, May 7, 2015

First SXSW experience (as a volunteer)

For Spring Break I had the wonderful opportunity to attend SXSW as a volunteer for music panels.

I finally got the motivation to apply and follow through with becoming a volunteer. Figured it was time to "be an adult" and make important decisions like being responsible. I attended all pre-meetings and even asked to reschedule a midterm to attend a mandatory pre-conference walk-thru scheduled on the same night. I wanted to recap the volunteer experience as well as the stuff I attended with my music badge perk throughout the week.

Music panels for the music aspect of SXSW began later in the week starting on Wednesday and running through Saturday, all of which music panel volunteers had to work 9am - 6pm.
Before my actual shifts started, that Tuesday I went and dropped off my stuff at a cousin's house that I would be staying with for the duration of SXSW and then went to pick up my volunteer credentials and music badge perk. Most SXSW volunteers worked for a perk or some sort, whether it be just an artist wristband for minimal hours or one of the badges (interactive, music, film, gold and platinum) which all vary on how many shifts or hours you work depending on the crew you work in. Since music panel volunteers all work the same shifts and hours, 60hrs, we were eligible for a badge and only could get platinum if returning volunteer and/or recommended by staff for a platinum badge. I settled for music badge of course, because I was mainly interested in music industry and having priority access to all live music venues.
After getting situated with credentials in the Registration area, I was on my way to find food and I ran into (almost literally) one of the acts I was eager to see later that night. South Korean DJ Hitchhiker. He was clad in his reflective geometric "space suit", which before that moment I did not know actually existed as a wearable suit. I thought that it was strictly a digitized visual for music videos, but no there he was in the suit making his way down the hall to registration. He was accompanied by an entourage of Korean managers/body guards, photographers, and curious on-lookers who probably didn't even know who he was and just wanted an interesting selfie or snapchat. I wanted to let him know right away that I was a fan (granted not a huge one or dedicated one at that moment), but chickened out and just waved and he waved right back at me. I had hoped that he would recognize me later for the showcases, but I'm unsure of the vision capabilities that the suit allowed. Never saw him without the suit as he performed both showcases in the suit. Or maybe I did and just didn't know it was him.

I have decided to make separate posts about the different showcases I went to, so for now I will just expand on the volunteer experience.

A Music Panel volunteer has its pros and cons.
Pros:

  •  You are stationed in the convention center on the 4th and 3rd floors away from the hectic SXSW attendees until you have to venture out to find food on your break. 
  • When bad weather hits, you don't have to worry too much because you are inside. 
  • You are surround by interesting professionals in the music industry as well as a few famous artists. 
  • There's a lot of interesting and informational topics on the panels you are helping with.
Cons:
  • Since most panels are only open to people with SXSW Music Badges, you don't see that many famous people or variety of SXSW attendees.
  • Also because you are inside all day, you are disconnected with things going on in the streets, such as running into celebrities.
  • You have to go out of the building to get food that is covered by your food pass on your break and sometimes run out of time because the long lines.  
  • You can't interact with famous people while on shift. I wanted to take pics of Snoop Dogg and Arcade Fire, but that's nono.
There were many other aspects about Music Panels that I didn't mention, but those seemed most important. 

Your job as a music panel volunteer basically consisted of meeting in the green room in the morning with everyone else and then going to your assigned panel room for the rest of the day. There was a folder with name placement cards and a list of all the panels in that room for the day and who was on the panel. You met with the panelists and made sure everyone was there before the panel, if someone didn't show up or someone else came as a replacement, you made the necessary changes. You also had to make sure the techs for the room knew if the panelist needed help with the presentation and sound before the panel time.Then one of the volunteers assigned to the room would bring the panelists to the room 5 minutes before it started while other volunteers had been getting things ready in the room and scanning the credentials of the panel attendees. It was all pretty simple stuff.

 My favorite day was being assigned as a green room helper. I sat at the sign in table for panelists and checked off who came in and made sure they got refreshments and that no volunteer touched the refreshments. Also, I made sure that the tables were tidy when panelist came and left things behind. It was while working in the green room that I saw Arcade Fire (and Will from Arcade Fire taking off his shoes and propping up his feet), and The WHO and Blondie's manager. 

I was also able to work the keynote speaker panel, which just so happened to be Snoop Dogg this year. Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet him, but it was still cool being in his presence and hearing him speak. I was on crowd control and made sure people were sitting or standing in the back and not on the sides. I felt a little powerful then, telling people where to go. haha.

If I'm still in the area for SXSW next year, I'll definitely be on the Music Panel crew again.






1 comment: